Thursday, November 10, 2011

Unremarkable and loving it

    
This blog address is about to be published in the holiday issue of Heart of Ohio Magazine, so, with any luck, there may be a few more people reading it.  Previous to that I had just asked a few friends to take a look at my ramblings, and they were gracious enough to do that.  One in particular asked where I came up with the name, "Unremarkable woman".....so I will share that with you.

I read.   It's what I do, and I do it a lot.  I especially enjoy biographies and history, and over the last few months I got around to reading about Mother Teresa.  In spite of her religious and self-doubts, in spite of the poverty and horror she witnessed....she kept on.  She had a focus and tenacity that I've never read of in any other woman. But in a chapter of the book she was described as, "this unremarkable little woman....”   Really?   Later in the same month I was reading something else, this time about the Holy Mother, Mary.  "This unremarkable woman, just a girl really.......”  How could a mortal woman who brought the messiah into the world be described as "unremarkable"?  

I can only assume the authors of those pieces mean neither had any super powers such as being able to fly, or read minds or turn straw into gold.   Maybe it meant they were just common people, just like the girl next door.   But somehow I cannot find that phrase "unremarkable woman" applying to either of these women in any capacity.

These references only made me wonder, where is the bar set?   A man who raises his children "alone" is applauded as being somewhat amazing...."He raised those boys on his own, you know".    A woman who works and raises her children alone is a "single mother"...the sponsor of kids who end up in trouble and a less than admirable role model.   Sometimes it seems that bar is a "limbo" bar for guys and a "pole vault" for women.

I've been so fortunate in my life and in my career.  I have wonderful kids that my husband and I raised together, and I’ve had interesting jobs; working in radio, building a carousel and now writing a magazine.   However, I've never done anything that would even remotely quality me for "remarkable".   I've never tended the sick in Calcutta or fed the starving...and I've certainly never been singled out to give birth to a deity.  But it seems to me that, given the company in this category, being an unremarkable woman might be construed as a compliment. 

So, that's where the title for this blog came from.   I now know I will remain unrepentantly and unashamedly unremarkable for the rest of my life.  I am comfortable with the fact that nearly every woman in the country must be in this same group, and I can't imagine what any of us poor mortal women could do to improve our station in life.

Remember, I don't make the categories, I just occupy one.   But if there is ever a real contest I can't wait to see who the contestants for "remarkable" turn out to be.  And there darn well better not be a bathing suit competition.   Life is good.    



No comments:

Post a Comment