Sunday, May 27, 2012

Life is a Contact Sport



It was probably in the neighborhood of fifteen years ago....I was managing WMAN Radio, a long time Ohio State Football affiliate, and we had the team bus scheduled to arrive at an empty storefront at Richland Mall to sign autographs and meet the public. My partner in crime and sales manager, Margie Tasseff, and I had cleaned up the empty store, brought in food for the players and we eagerly awaited the arrival of the bus. Assisted by our sales staff and the on air staff, now the fans were arriving to wait in line.   Hundreds of people were gathering to meet the players, coach John Cooper and former Heisman trophy winner, Archie Griffin.



Planning ahead I had purchased half a dozen footballs for everyone to sign, thinking we could use them as giveaways on the air during the upcoming season. That morning I had received a telephone call from a father whose little boy had broken a leg and was in the hospital recovering. The little guy had been looking forward to meeting Archie Griffin, and now he wasn’t going to be able to do that. Dad asked if I could possible get Archie to sign a poster for the little boy; I agreed that I would.



The day moved in fast forward, but everything was ready as our staff waited for the team to arrive. Finally we got word that the bus had pulled up, and soon a crowd of young men and their entourage filled the room.



In those days my friend Ed Douglas worked for WBNS, the OSU flag station in Columbus, and traveled with the team to these events.  As we stood and chatted the football players ate everything in sight and prepared to sign autographs and take pictures with the crowd that now lined the mall. Soon we were greeted by Archie Griffin, a very pleasant man who greeted the public and my staff graciously. I knew it would be a big success, and I was very happy with the direction in which things were proceeding.



I have to say here that I am the most ignorant human being on the face of the planet when it comes to sports. When something doesn’t interest me I have the ability to purge all that information on that particular subject from my mind….and that has always been the way I’ve dealt with any sports. I don’t care; I do not have the voyeuristic need to watch people play sports. When it came down to sports the arrangement with Margie, a true sports fan, we agreed that I would always smile, nod and let her answer any questions about sports. It worked pretty well for a lot of years.



Suffice it to say I hadn’t a clue who Archie Griffin was, although everyone else was really excited to meet him. As I stood and chatted with Archie and Ed I told Archie about the little boy in the hospital and how his Dad had delivered the poster to the radio station for me to have him sign for the child. Archie asked if the child was in a local hospital and I told him he was. That’s when he floored me with, “Well, we have time to go see him if it’s close. We can be back to sign autographs….let’s go!”



Impressed and really surprised I loaded Archie Griffin and Ed Douglas into my car and off we went to Med Central to see the little boy. At that time of night there was no problem finding a parking place, but as we walked into the hospital people looked, then looked again, and  I heard voices chiming….”Hey, Archie!” We were surrounded by half a dozen fans as we moved to the elevators.



Heading up to the room in the elevator I turned to Archie and said, “Didn’t you play with a helmet on? Everyone knows who you are,” which elicited a big laugh from the football icon.



Once on the floor we walked up to the child’s room and I entered first. A toe headed little boy of about six was flat on his back, his little leg suspended in the air in a heavy white cast. His Mom sat by his bed, and I think there were a couple of other people in the room with them. Walking up to the bed I explained to the little fellow that there was someone here who wanted to meet him; right on cue Archie Griffin walked in wearing a grin from ear to ear. I don’t think I’ve seen many children happier than that little boy was at that moment as his idol stood by his bed. We had brought one of the footballs with us, Archie signed that ball and I believe the child’s cast as well. Dad showed up about that time, having been to the mall to make sure I hadn’t forgotten the poster. It was one of those moments I won’t forget.



Back in my car I turned to Archie Griffin and said, “Mr. Griffin, I may not know anything about football…but I do know a thing or two about people. That was a very nice thing you just did.” Then I called home to tell my husband that I had Archie Griffin in my car and I wished he could be there. He just groaned that this was the final proof that there is absolutely no justice in this world.



I took Ed and Archie back to the mall, where he shook hands and signed footballs and did everything he could to make our radio station look good. What a rare individual; I’m not at all surprised he’s still so popular with Ohio State fans.



A few years after our caravan tour I was at an Ohio State Affiliates dinner at the Wigwam, owned by the Wolfe family, in Columbus. Archie Griffin was there, smiling and shaking hands as he served as the official OSU greeter. The line finally deposited me in front of him and I was certain he wouldn't remember me; I would never have said anything to remind him as the long line of people pressed in behind me. Archie took my hand, shook it and smiled as he met my eyes and said, "Still don't know anything about football, do ya?"



I've met some very interesting and gracious people throughout my career....I think Archie Griffin is at the top of the list.



                                                                      LIFE IS GOOD







No comments:

Post a Comment