Monday, August 5, 2013

Erie Dearie








Over dinner the other evening I was discussing my favorite hobby...kayaking...with a friend. He asked if I had ever fallen out of the kayak or had it flip over on me. I could honestly tell him, "No, I've never had that happen." That won't be true the next time he asks.

Lake Erie can be tricky. She has no patience, so she changes constantly. This morning I set out on a gently rolling lake. The slight undulation of the water only made paddling easier as I headed out along the coast line.

If you do not have a hobby that is always amazing and freeing, I hope you find one. For me that is kayaking. It works the kinks out of the body, puts oxygen deep into your lungs and clears the mind. Blue sky, blue water...the combination is relaxing and invigorating at the same time.

As I glided across the water a glint of blue caught my eye from an area that is fairly inaccessible except by water. The sun shone on this large, blue orb...hmmmm. Could it be a piece of beach glass that large? Naturally, I had to find out!

Pointing the kayak into the beach I realized the undulating water would quickly become white water, and then a crashing wave, as I neared land. Using the paddle as a rudder I positioned the kayak between two big rocks; the wave quickly whisked me past them and deposited me right on the sand. I reached out and picked up the beautiful lemon sized piece of turquoise beach glass that had lured me here, then hopped out of the kayak to explore some more.

I shrugged out of my lifejacket and walked the long stretch of beach, content to be looking for beach glass, cobble stones, and pretty drift wood pieces and fossils. Most days my kayak looks like a garbage scow returning to our home beach.

Finally, I had scoured the sand long enough. Now the waves sounded like slamming car doors as they broke on the huge rocks around me. Looking at the waves I was going to have to overcome to get out of this place, I realized there was a pretty good chance I was going to end up in the water. I tucked my beach glass treasures into the water tight compartment in the kayak; something I'd never felt it necessary to do before.

I pulled the kayak into the water in an effort to get out into some calmer water. Carefully I watched for a break in the waves to hop into the boat. I thought I'd timed it very well until the waves proved me wrong and unceremoniously dumped me out of the boat, and then sent both of us rolling back onto the beach! After repeating this process one more time I pulled the kayak back up on the beach and sat on a big rock to give the whole thing some thought.

I always have a cell phone with me in a water proof envelope, so I knew I could call for help if I needed to do that. But, as I sat there thinking about what that conversation might sound like, I decided it was much too soon to give in. As I sat there thinking I looked down to find another beautiful piece of glass by my foot. It was a sign...okay maybe not a sign...but it made getting dumped into the lake a little more worthwhile. I popped the pretty bobble into my lifejacket pocket and headed out to do battle with the waves once again.

Third time's a charm, they say.....and this time it was true for me. With a great deal of effort I managed to paddle my way back through the waves out into the calmly undulating lake once more.

I remember when I was a young girl listening to guys talk about their cars. "I want to take it out on the highway and open it up....blow some carbon out of the carburetor." I never understood what that meant; but now that statement came back to me as I slipped across the water toward home. I had used every muscle and pushed my energy to the limit...blown some carbon out of my carburetor if you will.  It felt more than good, it felt great.

                                                          Life is Good

 

1 comment:

  1. Love this! You had me right there, though I kayak on a smaller lake than Erie. It's safer to go with a buddy ... call me next time! (-:

    ReplyDelete