Thursday, July 25, 2013

The Big Bad Wolf






Can someone please explain to me why there are so many absolutely crazy people these days? 

After doing some work on the bathroom at our place at the lake, I find myself with a washer and dryer to sell.  They’re in great shape, they run really well.  We put in a stack set in an effort gain a little floor space in the bathroom, so the old set has now taken up residence with a bunch of other stuff in our garage.

Shouldn’t be a problem, right?   I mean with all the electronic ways to sell things today, they should be gone by tomorrow.   That would be wrong…….

I immediately went to everyone’s favorite….Craigslist.  Since I’m not advertising in the personals column, or looking for a discreet meeting with a massage therapist what could go wrong??

I can only imagine what happens when anyone in any state in the U.S. posts something on Craigslist….alarms bells must go off in every phone tank and scam artist work room in Nigeria.  I immediately got a response that requested my home phone, email address and other important information.   Oddly enough, they were really unconcerned how much I was asking or what the set looked like.  “I will liking you to sell me them…..”

Not to be outdone the next interested person, who just happened to be out of town visiting his/her son, said he/she would be “hoppy” to send me a check and arrange ‘for-to’ get the items later…….uh-huh.

Today I got another inquiry.  This person wants to know if I still have the “item” and would like me to send my email address so we can discuss this matter.   Why do you need my personal address.....you just emailed me!

I have not had even one serious inquiry, just six contacts with people looking for any opportunity to make a quick buck at my expense.  They know they only need a few minutes with some people to arrest their intelligence long enough to fleece them.  I’ve come to the conclusion that the scam artists and crazies have taken over the internet, the phone system and snail mail to ‘reach out and touch someone’.    From the elderly lady who’s been informed by mail that she just won the Publisher’s Clearing House sweepstakes, to the homeowner who will never again lay eyes on the fellow he just paid to seal his driveway ‘next week’…..we all have been introduced to the never ending stream of wolves just looking for a stray to pounce on.

Keep a tight hand on your wallet and a close eye on your elderly relatives; the bad guys never sleep.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment