Tuesday, March 5, 2013

On the Beach


 
A storm blows in and the birds desert the beach.
 
Another February has come and gone and, hopefully, spring is right around the corner.  We’ve just returned from a month at the beach where we soaked up sunshine and rain, seemingly in equal amounts.  February has become a favorite month.  Turns out it is when I have time to take stock and endeavor to pull my new year’s resolutions out of the ditch.  It never works, but it gives me a raft of new things at which to fail.

I must confess that I am not good when presented with open ended time.  It seems the only way I can manage to accomplish anything is when I’m under the gun.   I had planned to finish a second book (long story really) to publish on this blog….that didn’t happen.  I wanted to lose five (just five!) pounds over the month and return home triumphant.  The close proximity of fresh sea food and the accompanying butter in which to render it even tastier blew that off the map.  Another honorable goal was to walk every day…the rain made that sporadic at best.  It seems my creative nature was able to come up with an excuse for just about any positive thing I had planned for this time away.

Sitting in a rocker on the balcony that overlooked the ocean I contemplated the nature of the universe, celebrated the lovely surprise of sunrises and the colorful display of 28 sunsets.   I thought long and hard about the inevitable brevity of life…..and dozed.  How lucky I felt to enjoy the pleasure of watching the water turn from emerald green to azure blue. Sometimes it looked like cold steel before a storm; lighting crawling across the ocean is an amazing sight to behold.   

Collecting seashells from the beach and every hole in the wall shop we wandered through seemed to be the most taxing thing I had to deal with.  Suffice it to say this was a luxuriously lazy month.

Time is only wasted if you don’t enjoy what you’re doing.  Doing nothing in February is something Larry and I enjoy…and we have the credit card bills to prove it.

                                                              Life is Good

No comments:

Post a Comment