Friday, March 22, 2013

Two stepping with technology: Dancing Geek to Geek.


 

Technology seems to strum the strings of my addictive behaviors; coping with all the forms of communication we have today can be exhausting.

My grandmother had a huge cast iron stove in her kitchen when I was a little girl.  It was stoked with wood all day, every day; the big water reservoir on the side provided hot water for the household.  It also provided heat in the winter and over-heated the summers.  When someone wanted to talk they stopped by; sitting in the kitchen, hands wrapped around a big mug of coffee while a slice of pie waited to be enjoyed.   That was communication.

Today my sealed top electric range sits quietly while the microwave oven hums its cooking song.  In the winter we have forced air heat; in the summer air conditioning keeps things comfortable.   When someone wants to talk they text me, because the chances of actually catching me at home are slim.  If the text isn’t returned instantly I might get a cell phone call asking why I’m not answering my texts!  Of course there’s always email whizzing back and forth, and Facebook comments to read and post, and Pinterest followers that don’t interact at all except for the initial “he/she is following you” email.  I read the few comments that show up on my blog; the majority of which are spam.  I’ve been invited to join Houzz, Tumblr, Twitter and a few other things that I can’t figure out how to spell.  At the end of the day I’ve typed a lot and said very little…touched base with quite a few people and learned absolutely nothing. That is communication.

Sometimes I experience TMI stress. (Too Much Information)  With todays’ technology it is possible to have a simultaneous 24/7 conversation with everyone you know.   No thought is too fleeting, no event too miniscule to be put into text or on Facebook.   We seem to have lost the mental filters that existed years ago.  Or maybe I’m not coping with the fact that everyone was just waiting for the opportunity to report their every thought and event to the world

This is a common scenario for me:  I’m writing something at the computer at home or at the office when the telephone rings; picking up the receiver I sandwich it between my chin and shoulder and continue to type as I talk to the caller.  Now my cellphone dings, seems I have a text message…and a lighted bubble at the bottom of the computer screen informs me that I have a new comment on my blog.  My mind separates into neat compartments as it strives to work out who might be texting, who might be commenting, and what the person on the other end of the desk phone is saying to me as my cellphone rings.   Finally a real human being arrives to stand in the door with a questioning look,  mouthing something (I cannot read lips)  as I juggle at least four other technologies.  

I have some friends I consider to be holdouts.  They strive to keep it simple with a cell phone that is just that….no texting or email allowed.  A very few don’t have, and harbor no desire to have, a computer.  They cannot come up with a reason to own one….I cannot fathom a day without.

I’ve never been a big TV lover anyway, but my computer has officially assumed the place in my life that television occupied.  I have Netflix if I want to watch a movie or one of the old English comedies I like so much.  I’ve remained un-addicted to Dancing with the Stars, Singing like the Stars, Cooking with the Stars and Making Fun of the Fat Stars.  I would easily give up television if it came down to a choice between that and my computer.

In truth I have two laptops, two iPads a Kindle and an iPhone…obviously they are not just for communication.  I have email friends in other countries, and I subscribe to several blogs I enjoy.   It feels as if the entire world is at my fingertips with these wonderful tools.   This blog of mine is a catalog of memories and experiences I’ve enjoyed sharing with a few people, many of whom I've never met.  It, too, is addicting.  Fortunately my husband is just as fascinated with all things electronic. 

 

With all these amazing things what could the future possibly hold? I’m anticipating the invention of an implant.  Maybe a chip under the scalp that sends our thoughts to a programmed list of friends and acquaintances.  Maybe a special printer could create scripts of those thoughts; all you need to do is think about the story of your life and print a copy to share!

If the world stands and technology continues to spiral out of control, there is no telling what my great grandchildren will consider communication and entertainment.  I’m certain it will be very different from what I experienced as a child and how what we enjoy today.

What an intriguing idea.  I believe I’ll just go wrap my hands around a nice, hot cup of coffee and give that some low tech thought……………..

                                                               Life is Good

2 comments:

  1. I hope we can share the same head patch in the future so that we always stay in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete