Monday, March 12, 2012

And that's how I roll.....


               It doesn’t seem like a big deal, but when you’re married anything can happen.


This is not one of those disgusting commercials that starts with, “It’s time to get real about what happens in the bathroom”, and then deteriorates into a lesson on what should never be discussed on television.  However, it is about the bathroom.

If you are a person who has been married for a number of years you understand that there are always tiny “stress fractures” in any relationship.     There is the ever grating “Mom always did it this way”, or the day you learned that your mate considers the use of a clothes hangar or screwing the cap back on the toothpaste to be far above his/her engineering skills.     Then of course, the ever present “what’s to eat?” …a question that actually translates to “when are you fixing me something to eat?”   These are just a few of dozens of little things that a couple learns to work out…or learns to ignore.

And so we come to the granddaddy of all issues, the one that can send a couple running to a marriage counselor faster than any other; the toilet paper roll.

The first stress factor in this major issue occurs when one partner never replaces the toilet paper.   First you pass the offending partner in the hallway just as he/she is exiting the water closet.   You may or may not have heard this partner yanking the toilet paper roll as if trying to start a cranky out board motor.   Taking responsibility for one’s own well-being it is important to say here that, while it is true that anyone who plans ahead is never in a paperless predicament, we’ve all been there.   Once you raise your voice to summon your partner to bring you a roll of paper (that he/she should have replaced to begin with) it may take a while for the sound level in your home to return to normal.  

The next stress factor occurs when one partner always replaces the toilet paper the WRONG WAY.  Of all the things couples deal with this may be one of the most difficult because there are people…who shall remain nameless…who refuse to admit there is a right way and a wrong way to install a roll of toilet paper. 

 Ah-ha!   You say it’s just a roll of paper, you say it cannot be installed improperly?  You say wrong!!    Who among us has not had to spin and hunt, spin and hunt, spin and hunt for the end of the paper roll because it was installed improperly?   

But it’s not just an ill-informed spouse who can ruin your day.  It recently became necessary for me to visit the accommodations at a local store.   I soon discovered that the huge roll in the big plastic container attached to the cubicle wall had been installed in such a manner that the paper tore on top of the roll, up inside the plastic box.   I could see the end of the roll, but my attempt to get my hand up into the holder to grasp it ended in frustration and a scraped hand.  I had visions of getting my hand lodged in the dispenser and having to call 911 to send a rescue squad to extricate me.    I was finally able to inch the roll with an ink pen I fished from my purse.   But even when it became possible to grasp the end of the roll the installation error caused it to tear one or two sheets at a time.  What should have taken twenty seconds took several minutes and my entire storehouse of patience.  Did I mention the fact that I broke a perfectly good ballpoint pen in the process?

I’ve given this whole thing some thought.  While I’ve not come up with a suitable punishment for this infraction, I do believe it should at least be raised to a ticketing offense.     In my continuing effort to preserve the institution of marriage ( so that my husband and I have someone to go out to dinner with) I have included this instructional diagram.


 Please study the diagram carefully and share it with your significant other.  You may also want to make copies to pass out in crowds or to tape to stall walls.  This is an issue that has waited long enough to be addressed.   You can thank me later.

                                                                          Life is Good.


1 comment: