Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Adventures in a Corn Field





 The day was sunny and windy, rather mild for January.  I was off to meet Sister Jane Frances Omlor, a Franciscan nun who, I am told, loves to build things.  This time it’s a straw bale house in Tiffin, Ohio.

I’m always looking for a good story for Heart of Ohio Magazine, and this one promised to be just that.  Waiting in the lobby of the convent for Sister to arrive I was struck by the beauty of the place, and as I investigated my surroundings a small lady with short, steel grey hair and spectacles came into the room.   Even leaning on a cane she moved quickly, and there was no doubt this was Sister Jane Frances.



In a small room off the lobby I began to ask questions of the Sister.  At first she seemed distracted, probably because she had just come from a funeral and she had completely forgotten I was coming.  Several minutes into the conversation her concentration locked on, and she began to tell me a little about her life.  This was not an easy life she had chosen, and she talked about her mission in the West Virginia coal country, where she built a straw house to be used as a chapel.   In my mind there is nothing more interesting than the combination of faith and determination, and Sister Jane Frances has both. 
Eventually we got around to her project of the straw bale house, and the Sister said, “Oh, it’s so much easier to show you on my laptop.  And we can visit the house; it’s just in the corn field out back.”
As hard as it was to keep up with her, I managed to follow her across a courtyard, upstairs, and into her tiny office.   Stacked and piled and spilling over, she explained her office was also the place where a lot of the things they sold in their gift shop were kept.  Calling up the website (www.projectstraw.com) she showed me the plans and work on the straw bale house. 

“Now, would you like to see it?   No one is working there today; the holidays have slowed things down.  But we’ll be back in full swing soon.   It’s been pretty cold, so the ground should be frozen,” she said.

We bustled into my convertible and drove around the campus, finally coming to the end of the asphalt drive.

“Head right out there,” she pointed to a glistening trail of slime that my mind refused to recognize as  a road!  “Just gun it and don’t slow down for anything,” Sister said.   Taking her advice literally I stepped down on the gas and we shot out into the corn field. 

Her estimate of the firmness of the field was a little off to say the least…it was the consistency of cake batter.  My poor little convertible seemed to be trying to learn to swim, and my spinning wheels threw mud everywhere.   We arrived at the straw house where I finally came to a stop, parking on what seemed to be the only solid piece of ground in sight.

Opening my car door, I slipped and slid to the back door of the house.  Sister followed along, her three legged cane sinking into the muck, but not slowing her down in the least.  The only thing that slug more mud than my Sebring was the Sister herself. 


The straw bale house is a sun filled structure with walls twenty inches thick.  Even on this January day it was pleasant, and the tour was wonderful. 
 Sister showed me an area around a window where she had applied the clay over a grapevine.  Its twists and turns around the beautifully rounded shape of the window added dimension and interest to the surrounding wall.  I loved the smooth clay walls, the natural colors and the openness of the whole structure.   I can see how one would become attracted to the beauty of a structure like this one.  The organic feel of the house seems to be that of something sprung directly from the earth.

 



It was obvious from the tour that Sister Jane Francis knows her stuff.  She is undaunted by contracting details and technologies that would probably make my head explode, and she is interesting as she explains them.  Soon our tour of the straw bale bungalow was over and it was time to head back to the convent.

As we exited the back door I looked up at the huge windmill constructed behind the house to provide electricity.  The thought, “I’ll huff, and I’ll puff and I’ll bloooowwww your house down” crossed my mind, but I’m not nearly secure enough to joke with a nun, so I held my tongue.

Sister surveyed the field looking, I suppose, for a better way to go back.  “I guess the best we can do is back up over there and gun it again.  This happened to me last week, too,” she said.

“You know, Sister.  A little prayer might be in order here,” I said.  She dipped her head for a brief moment and chirped, “Done.   Let’s go.”

We fishtailed through the field, throwing mud and laughing as we went.  To be honest I thought we were a candidate for a tow truck, but somehow we made it.   The good Sister chuckled and said, “See?”

Pavement hadn’t felt this good to me in a very long time, and I breathed a sigh of relief.  “Drive over that way and pull in front of the garage,” Sister instructed.   I did as I was told, and the moment the wheels stopped turning she hopped from the car and pushed open a side door in the building, “I’ll wash your car off,” she called.

The convertible was covered with mud, from rag top to rims.   To my chagrin Sister Jane Francis worked her way around the car with a green garden hose in one hand, her cane in the other. 

I stood there in the watery January sunshine, watching this amazing little nun wash my car.   At first I was horrified, then I felt guilty, and finally I just had to laugh at the ridiculousness of it all.    Soon the big mud ball was once again a car and I was taking the good Sister back around to the front of the campus and the convent.

I pulled away with the Sister waving in my rear view mirror, heading back to Mansfield with the thought of just how lucky I am.  Writing for Heart of Ohio I meet such interesting people!  I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Sister Jane Francis, and I am impressed with the straw bale house and all the promise it holds.   She obviously knows her stuff about a lot of things….and she does a pretty decent job on a car wash.   Life is Good.    
Read “Spinning Straw Into Gold” in the March/April issue of Heart of Ohio Magazine for the story about the straw bale house.










No comments:

Post a Comment