Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Age does have some benefits....






After four weeks in the sunshine, we are home to deal with the leftovers of our Ohio winter.   We had a wonderful time in Florida.   I did a lot of writing, we rode bikes, went kayaking, walked on the beach, and I am something I never thought I’d be… shopped out.   Now that’s what I call a successful vacation!

Some of our time was spent on the beach, some was spent pool side, but suffice it to say we were outdoors a lot.  That’s not new for me anymore, because the last few years I’ve spent a lot of time in the sun.  These past few summers I have been tan for the first time in my adult life.   Knowing full well what much smarter people say about the dangers of sun exposure,  I do enjoy being outdoors.  As foolish as I may be I  only use sun screen when I think about it instead of being diligent.
During every warm weather forecast and on every doctor show they tell you to slather yourself with sunscreen, avoid the sun during the hottest part of the day, and cover up.  We all have the advantage of knowing that our time in the sun contributes to wrinkles and increases the chance of skin cancer.   What a departure from when I was growing up.   As a child  my nose and shoulders  were red and peeling almost all summer long because,   in those long ago days,  we thought playing outside was good for you and a sunburn was just part of that.  I’m not even certain they had sun block when I was a kid.  Nearly everyone I knew poured on the baby oil or tanning lotion to increase the chance of a golden brown tan, not eliminate it!  From what I've read I know the damage was done during those childhood years and there's not much I can do about it at this age, so I don't worry about it.

I’m not recommending anyone be as fool hardy as I am, but here is my rationale: I’m old, I've earned it.   For many years  the only light my skin saw came from the fluorescent lights in an office. Summer and winter were basically the same for me.  I didn't have time to even think about being a "sun worshiper"  because I had children to raise and  a stressful job to keep me busy. I seldom took vacation time, and when I did I somehow didn’t find time to be out in the sunshine anyway. I lived like a hot house flower, running from one climate controlled office to another.  Then a few years ago I left my desk chair.....I retired.

The first summer I was retired I took up kayaking. I must admit I had to take a bit of a shortcut, because I can’t swim. Yes….I go out in a kayak on Lake Erie wearing a life vest knowing full well that I cannot swim a stroke. I am careful, I always wear my vest, but once again my rationale is: I’m old, I've earned it.

We took our bicycles to Florida with us this year and we rode most evenings. I’m not a long distance rider, but I do enjoy the feeling of freedom you enjoy when you’re outdoors riding a bicycle. I’ve taken a couple of tumbles, skinned a leg and conked my head, and my husband would really like it if I would wear a helmet….but of course I won’t. I got through my first childhood without a helmet; I’m going for it without one in my second.  I'm old, I've earned it.
Please don’t get the impression I am not thankful for my health, because I most certainly am. But there comes a time in life, and I think your retirement is that time, when you have to say, “I’m going to enjoy myself.” The later in life you take that attitude is probably the better. Just look at it this way…the longer you wait to make dumb decisions, the fewer years you have to deal with the possible consequences.

Now I am semi-retired, working as the editor of Heart of Ohio Magazine. That takes up some of my time and it keeps me active and engaged. When I’m not busy working on the magazine I am often   enjoying one of my hobbies. This is the time of life I have given myself permission to work less, play more….and worry not at all. My advancing age also gives me the right to give advice, so for all you younger folks I have some wisdom to share. Take good care of yourself right now while you are young.  Stay out of the tanning beds, wear your sun screen, your helmet and your life jacket.  Eat your veggies, don't drink or smoke or take drugs.   Then, when you get old, you’ll have time to do the things you were too smart to do earlier in life.

I'm enjoying retirement, or my version of it.  I look at this as the time of my life I paid for with my youth.  If I sit in the sun, commune with nature in a kayak, or ride my bike sans helmet I do so because I've come to the understanding that I am officially too old to die young.   I am thankful for every moment, every day.....Life is Good.
                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment