Thursday, October 20, 2011

You Win....I Won't Buy Your Product......

The saga of the missing furniture has been settled.   I flew the white flag.......surrendered to the confusion and incredible screwiness that has become the world of commerce in America. 

After six weeks and as many phone calls I got a voicemail from JC Penney customer service.   Seems the trucking company that had become the newest home for my furniture was frantically trying to get reach me to deliver my furniture.  Alright!! 

I called customer service, made certain they had every phone number, email address and any personal information that might aid them in getting this furniture to my house......and I waited.   Three days later I called again and asked for the trucking company's phone number, hoping I could assist them in finding my house sometime before the new year. 

Yesterday I called the trucking company only to be told they'd never talked to the nice folks at Penney's....and they still didn't have the proper slip cover for the sofa.   However....they assured me....if I would let them deliver the naked sofa and the slipcovered ottoman they would surely get me the first slipcover that became available on this continent.  Since nothing anyone had told me in the past six weeks had come to fruition I wasn't about to fall for that one.   But this was better than  one of my previous conversations with these folks when they insisted I already had the couch and ottoman!! 

I called Penneys again and was given more run around.   It seems "someone" had misinformed me.   They hadn't located a slipcover.....they hadn't gotten one to the trucking company after all.....and they'd  be darned if anyone could  figure out who thought the trucking company was ready to deliver.

"CLICK"   That is the sound of the switch that goes off in a persons brain when they've had more than they can stand of the nonsense one goes through today to spend money.   I guess I am  just not a people person....at least not a stupid people person. 

I cancelled the couch.....I cancelled the ottoman....and then I called the store where I had purchased the matching chair from the sales floor.   I was informed by a very nice young lady that I had purchased that chair on a "no return" deal....in fact, she reminded me, "Mrs. Coon....you signed a paper agreeing to the stores no return policy when you purchased the chair.  Do you remember that?   I'm sorry but that's our policy."   Her tone said that she knew she was very likely dealing with a mentally deficient older woman who had signed something she had completely forgotten about as she stumbled from the store.

I took a deep breath.   In fact I took two deep breaths.   And then I said, slowly and clearly, "Yes, dear.....I do remember signing that paper.   I signed it right after your salesman assured me that the matching couch and ottoman, which were in stock, would be sitting right beside that chair in just seven working days.  I believed YOUR representative and I upheld my part of the contract when I wrote the check.   And now I would like to speak to YOUR supervisor....and that's MY policy."

The nice young lady said she would let me speak to the store manager.   Evidently the store manager had spoken to enough disgruntled customers for one day, because she sent her perky assistant back with the message that they would be happy to "help me out" and return my money for the chair and cancel the couch and ottoman.

Did I win?   No.   I liked the furniture and was looking forward to enjoying it in our home.  But you know, there comes a time when enough is enough.  That seems to be the rule instead of the exception today.  Too few people trying to do too many things in an increasingly confusing system that just doesn't seem to work any longer.  So, my furniture hunt will begin again......and after all the hunt is half the fun.  Maybe this time I'll be lucky enough to find a store that actually wants to sell something.   So, all in all, life is good....and that is MY policy.

No comments:

Post a Comment