Wednesday, May 14, 2014

When No One Calls






We’ve all heard the old adage “you learn something new every day”….probably even said it a time or two.   Last night an unexpected phone call taught me a valuable lesson that I will strive to remember from now on.

I crawled into bed early last evening after having one of those days that just seemed to suck the life force from your body.   I was exhausted, so when the phone rang at around ten thirty I’d already been sleeping for about an hour.

The phone is on my husband’s side of the bed, and I listened as he tried to connect with the person on the other end of the line.  His, “hello?….hello?...hello?” went without acknowledgement and he turned to me with a puzzled expression.

“Who is it,” I asked?   I was instantly convinced someone was dead, and I wasn’t sure I wanted to know just who that might be.

“I don’t have any idea,” my husband said.  He handed me the telephone.

I listened intently to the conversation going on at the other end; it wasn’t long before I realized I was eavesdropping on someone’s discussion!  I also loudly tried to get their attention, then strained to identify one of the two or three voices as the women talked.   I thought I had it…then decided it couldn’t be that person.   Listening more closely I figured it was another person…but the voice was just not close enough to the phone to be sure.   Who in the world is this?

Finally I stopped trying to figure out “whom” and listened for a second to “what”, and that’s when I realized they were talking about ME!

I am guilty of not taking the high road; I listened for a moment as one woman talked to the others about Heart of Ohio Magazine, which she was obviously showing them.  They must have been in front of a computer, because they went on to visit my (this) blog.  While they were commenting about the article I wrote about the drift wood tree, I finally realized I was listening to one of our neighbors.   It was a relief to figure out who it was….but a total mystery how we came to be connected by telephone.

I only listened a couple of minutes more and, still unable to gain their attention, I hung up.   The conversation I heard was as complimentary as if I’d been sitting in the room giving them no other option.  It was very kind.

After scratching our heads at the mystery of it all, my husband and I settled back down to sleep.  I lay there in the dark for a bit thinking that our neighbors, whom I’ve always considered to be very nice and genuine people, were just as nice when they didn’t know (I) someone was listening as they are when speaking to people face to face.   I have to admit I was a bit uncomfortable wondering if I would fare as well in the same situation. 

I don’t have the slightest idea how we became technically linked last evening.  Maybe it was a call arranged by a higher power, I can’t really say.  I only know what started as an accidental dialing actually became a learning experience.

How easy it is to say unkind things cloaked in the guise of “it’s just my sense of humor”.    It’s easy to slip into the mode of being judgmental and critical and forget that kindness is the better option…..always. 

Think about it for just a second, and be honest with yourself. How would you be perceived if someone overheard you talking to others about them?   I took stock and made a mental note that I want to be able to pass the test presented by an unknown person in the room listening.   All too often the main source of protein in my diet has come from putting my over-sized foot in my mouth.   I’m going to work on that.

Okay, I’m going to work on being a kinder, gentler person….but, just in case you think I’m going to completely lose my sense of humor, hear this:   I am going to mercilessly tease my neighbors about the phone call and enjoy every second of it at our next breakfast meeting.   I have not told them about my eavesdropping experience, but when they read this they’ll know who they are.
It’s great to have good neighbors….it’s also great to realize they’re actually as good as you thought they were.
                                                      Life is Good
  



No comments:

Post a Comment