Tuesday, May 27, 2014

The Best of the Mohicans

My husband and I have reached the stage in our marriage where we don’t always exchange gifts for our anniversary.   The behavior that would have sent me into a tailspin thirty years ago, forgetting our anniversary, now passes without much reaction and absolutely no punishment. 

In the early years of our marriage the sin of forgetting our anniversary has been known to be acknowledged with a thank you card.   Inside a heart-felt note, and the bill for whatever I bought to “celebrate” our special day, was my personal way of reminding him it’s probably cheaper to remember than to forget.
 
All that’s behind us now, and it’s not that we don’t acknowledge the date and take a moment to wonder where the years have gone….we do.    But we don’t dig out the traditional list of gifts for anniversaries and try to find something to fit.   Actually, it’s a good thing we don’t, because we just had our 49th and there is no traditional gift for the 49th anniversary!  The list goes from the 45th year (sapphire), to the 50th (gold) and then on to the 60th (diamond).   Maybe it’s because not a lot of people make it to those anniversaries, or maybe it’s because you probably don’t need anything by the time you’ve reached these milestones.


Earlier this year I did a story for Heart of Ohio Magazine on The Mohicans, a resort down around Loudonville that has some beautiful cottages, two amazing tree houses and The Grand Barn event center where they hold weddings and other events.    Larry wanted to see the places, so he tagged along.  The whole time I fired questions at our guide for the day, my husband walked around shaking his head and saying “wow”.    He made it clear he was impressed and smitten with the whole property, and it’s not something he usually does.

So….as the date for our anniversary rolled around, I thought about how much he liked the tree houses and decided that would be a great surprise for him.  We would spend a night in the tree house.  He really loved the red one that had been on a TV show after we went to do the interview on site, so that’s the one I chose.

When the date arrived we packed up a few things to take along, stopped at Kentucky Fried Chicken for two dinners (we really have our elegant moments, don’t we?) and headed to The Mohicans.

When we arrived we dropped off our paperwork, got our instructions and headed to the tree house.  It was a chilly evening, but the sun down promised to be spectacular and the woods were newly leafed and aromatic. Climbing the hill with our bags and, most importantly, our extra crispy chicken, we were anxious to get settled in. 
     
Once we got inside we could appreciate looking out into the woods and listening to the….quiet.  The coffee table in the sitting area boasted a bottle of wine and a lavish cheese and fruit plate,
compliments of our three thought kids.  Well, one is thoughtful and the other two are great financial contributors to anything she comes up with; you know who you are.
     
As darkness fell we experienced the deepest, most enveloping silence either of us could ever remember. The velvety darkness wrapped us in an unearthly quiet that was only broken by the occasional rustle of leaves from the floor of the woods below us.   It was wonderful.

When it was time for bed we climbed the ladder into the loft, snuggled into bed and drifted off to sleep.  The comforting quiet and the smell of freshly hewn wood worked like a sleeping pill; morning arrived almost as soon as I closed my eyes.
   
With Friday morning's sun-washed arrival came the challenge of getting back down the ladder.   I have to admit to being height challenged…anything higher than a one inch heel on my shoe will send me into panic mode.  Larry patiently assisted with my decent, and I will forgive him for his comments, derisive laughter
and other general torment by our next anniversary, I’m pretty sure.

Watching the sunrise with a cup of coffee on the deck was amazing, while indoors the sunlight through the stained glass, east-facing window left patterns on the walls that bathed the room with color.









 As I admired the light display I happened to notice a little notebook left for comments. 
Inside I read accounts from other occupants of the little red tree house.  One entry from January described the blissful quiet and the snug feeling of tranquility; every entry spoke of the beauty of that particular season and the wish to return to the embrace of this little house.  Larry and I would second that.


I don’t really have a bucket list, but if spending the night in a tree house had been on my list I’m not sure I’d cross it off….more likely I’d encase it in parenthesis and plan to do it all over again.  It just proves you’re never too old to have a happy childhood.

Thanks to The Mohicans we had a memorable wedding anniversary.  If you Google The Mohicans Treehouse you can see the project for yourself.   It has the Larry and Diana Coon stamp of approval.
                                                                         
                                                          Life is Good






No comments:

Post a Comment