Friday, June 28, 2013

Tethered to Technology



I am frustrated because I forgot my cell phone charger cord at home this morning.  I remembered my car charger (changed cars with my husband this morning), so I’ve been forced to leave the phone in the car twice to get some juice into it.   Problem is, that phone number is the one I give everyone; I’m anticipating business calls and it makes me nuts to leave the phone in the car.

Fortunately, I did remember to plug my iPad in before I went to bed last evening.  And I’ve gotten the mess with my computer cord straightened out.  I had it confused with another cord and almost ran out of battery power at work one day.

Am I the only person on the planet who is sick unto death of living life at the end of a cord?  Cell phones, laptops, iPads, flashlights, cameras, MP3 players, iPods, and anything else they can put a cord on…..it’s maddening.  And every time you buy a new appliance you have to change the doggoned cords!  Apple is very likely making more on the phone chargers/cords/etc. than all the other things they produce!!

I’ve tried buying cords for home, for the office, for our place at the lake, for the car and a spare to keep in my handbag for emergencies.  I figure I have made an outlay of about $700.00 to keep equipment charged.   If I upgrade my iPhone I’ll have to start all over again.  The technology changes before I can get the plastic off the darned cords!!

Alright.  Let’s say you have all the cords in all the places you need.   Now you need to label them, because a white cord is a white cord is a white cord.  A black cord can go to a computer, an electric skillet or a camcorder.  In order to tell them apart  I’ve dabbed them with nail polish, used the plastic tabs off bread bags as labels, even applied twist ties and used a label maker in a desperate attempt to identify which appliance any given cord goes to.  Still, no matter how organized or well-planned my attack, I can never find the cord when my iPad battery starts to run low….which seems to be in no time at all.  

Given the fact that we pay an arm and a leg for them, why is the battery life so lousy on our electronics? They can track the signal from a battery operated ‘black box’ from a downed airplane seemingly forever.   If they have the materials and knowledge to construct an instrument that can fall from 30,000 feet, survive a fire and continue to send out a signal from the ocean floor for weeks on end……WHY can’t they design a cell phone that can withstand a drop on my kitchen floor with a battery life that is longer than the life span of a May-fly??

How can we move forward if our progress is hindered by the length of a recharging cord?  I look forward to the day when someone (anyone!) creates a battery that will last a lifetime.  Charge it once when you are gifted with this wonderful battery at your high school graduation party; recharge it before the guests arrive  for your ninetieth birthday celebration.  You should be able to get these remarkable batteries to fit any generation of electronics, and any product.

I know it may seem superficial, but that’s the gift I’d give the world.  There are many people working on world peace, the elimination of dreadful diseases and extending our lifespan.  I say keep up the good work…you are good human beings!  I, on the other hand, will be working on a battery that lasts 75 years without a recharge.  It may not be very compact, and it might have a kick start, but it will work!   Not because I’m a selfless human being who wants to teach the world to sing….but because it’s time to cut the cord.

                                                                Life is Good

No comments:

Post a Comment