Friday, June 21, 2013

A Little Corn can't Hurt....


Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
                Lt. Col. Grant L. 

                      Rosensteel, Jr.

In today’s high tech, low morals, what-channel-are-the-Kardashians-on society it is rare that something strikes a chord with me.  I find myself in the position of trying to fend off more information than I take in.  We live in an exhausting world, bombarded by advertising impressions and demoralizing news programs.  The parade of people trying way too hard to get attention is pathetic at best (What WAS Michael Douglas thinking!!!!).

Daily I get scores of email forwarded from friends.  Some of it I enjoy; most of the wild conspiracy theory stuff just keeps Snopes in business.  I believe very little of it, and check out the worst of it.  I am convinced nothing is a bad as we fear or as good as we wish it to be…the internet stuff that goes around would have you believe otherwise.

It is in my nature to be skeptical about everything; it’s a fact of which I am not proud.  So, when I get something in my email that touches me, I am surprised to say the least.  The quote at the top of the page is one of those things.  It came attached to a much longer story, which may or may not be true, but that quote really hit home.  I guess the ‘cool kids’ would say it’s corny, and I guess they'd be right. 
 
Thing is...I guess I like corny.   Corny is comforting, soothing, refreshing; a nice break from hatred, violence and in-your-face vulgarity.   

I have printed out that quote and pinned it on the board in front of my desk to remind me that there is still good at work in this world.  There are people who still stand for the pledge of allegiance with their right hand placed firmly over a hopeful heart. 
In spite of the ugliness our society promotes, there are still those who support our soldiers and their families.  Many continue do good works through their church or service club simply because it is the right thing to do. They just don’t get their own reality shows, I guess.

That quote says all that to me, and more….. 

To believe in these things is, today more than ever, a conscious choice.   I choose to believe.

                                 Life is Good

                          

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment