Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Digging in the Dirt


Digging around in the dirt is something I like to do……I have no particular talent for growing things, but I enjoy it anyway.

This year I am going to plant lavender.  I’ve just written an article for the July issue of Heart of Ohio about the DayBreak Lavender Farm in Strongsville and I am psyched to grow some of the gorgeous plants.  If you’re a fan check out their website or visit them….tell them Heart of Ohio sent you!

Actually two things put me on this planting binge.  On the way to Florida last February Larry and I stayed at a lovely little place named The Indigo Inn.  Not only is it charming, but the toiletries they provide in the rooms are a treat for the weary traveler.  Lathering up with the lavender soap, then slathering myself with lavender lotion I promised myself I would treat myself to this lovely scent every chance I get from here on out.  I have a bar of lavender soap in my shower at home now that is about the size of a paving brick….but it smells heavenly and I enjoy it every day!

After experiencing that wonderful soap I researched lavender and found DayBreak Lavender Farm; I immediately contacted them for an interview.  It was a pleasure to meet the owners and talk to them about their passion….lavender.  Did you know there is a lavender festival?   There is!  Did you know you can do almost anything with lavender, from creating syrups to drying it for floral arrangements?  Who knew?

Last week I visited a greenhouse and bought a flat of lavender; several varieties.  What I will be planting is English lavender; I am on the lookout for French lavender as well.  I won’t have acres of lavender growing like they do, but my hope is the guidance I found on the DayBreak website will serve me well.    The plants I purchased should provide a beautiful border around my flower beds for years to come.

I’m looking forward to combing soil and sand and lime to create a medium in which the beautiful lavender might flourish.   I know I’ll be swatting flies; sweaty, dirt streaked and sore by the time I’m done.    Gardening (and life in general) requires three things:  Do your research, gather the proper materials, do the hard work. 

I guess when you get right down to it that’s what life is all about.    We do the dirty work, and instead of thinking about callouses and the risk of failure, we simply sit down and optimistically wait for the scent of lavender to drift into the windows.    

                                                                  
                                                                             Life is Good

No comments:

Post a Comment