Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Anniversaries are for remembering




Today is one of those days in my life when I know exactly where I was and what I was doing; 48 years ago today I married my husband, Larry.

We were too young, too inexperienced, had no prospects, and we were too dumb to know all that.

I can look back over my shoulder at our life together; it reaches back far into the distance but I remember every step.  The birth of our three wonderful children is the highlight, no doubt about that.  But I also remember buying our first house, for which we paid the princely sum of seven thousand dollars.  I remember the awful task of learning to drive a stick shift when our first car turned out to be a VW Beetle, and I remember letting the air out of the tires and tearing through the woods in it, too.   Learning to cook was a very big deal; for the first year we survived on “concoctions” which consisted of a can of green beans, a can of Krey canned meat and a can of icky, cooked potatoes.  Heat all that up in a pot and you might wonder how we made it to our first anniversary.   Thankfully our Moms cooked a lot…….

Our first house had a red bedroom.  It boasted red walls, red carpet, red curtains and red bedspread…all things that came together to give it the ambiance of a house of ill repute.  It was my husband’s first (and last) decorating input after he learned the phrase “ever since I was a little boy I wanted” would cause me to do anything he asked.  After that red bedroom the phrase didn’t work nearly as well.

Friday evenings were always special.  That was grocery store shopping night and watching “The Wild, Wild West” after we put the cold stuff away.  If we had money left, it might also be a cheap spaghetti night at the old Boston Spaghetti House.  I am still searching for someone who has the recipe for their spaghetti sauce all these years later.  The spaghetti extravaganzas stopped when our son was born because the “extra money” had to go for formula….a change we never regretted.

Through the years my husband has supported me in every possible way; financially, physically, spiritually and emotionally.  There is nothing I could have done to earn his devotion, and there is nothing that would ever replace it.

So, today….May 15th, 2013….I say thank you to my husband, Larry.  Thank you for loving me no matter what for 48 years.  Thank you for loving me through thick and thin, through pregnancies and menopause and job changes and good times and bad times.  Thank you for putting up with me when I had my head on straight and when it was truly cockeyed.  Thank you for tucking me into the car as if I am still precious to you today and opening jar lids and putting up with a yappy dog.    You are my hero.

 

                                                                
                                                        Life is Good


 

No comments:

Post a Comment