Saturday, November 17, 2012

Shopping Yin and Yang


 
 
 
It may sound like a contradiction in terms to you; it makes perfect sense to me.  I love shopping….I hate shopping!

Perhaps I should explain.   I like leisurely shopping; looking for nothing in particular and enjoying the hunt.  If the perfect pair of shoes or household item turns up….so be it.   That’s the kind of shopping I look forward to.  Now, let’s get to the shopping I do not enjoy.  The shopping-with-your-husband-for-the-holidays type of shopping. 

Each year at this time my husband says, “Let’s make a list”.  Those words alone can leech all the fun out of a shopping trip.  When you realize that men think the list is to be followed to the letter, it’s even worse.

My idea of a “list” is the name of each person for whom we need to buy a gift.  Larry’s idea of a list is the name, the gift, the location of said gift, the amount of time to be spent in that particular store and the location of the best restaurant for lunch in the middle of the shopping safari.  Much too detailed for a person like me.

I know it’s just an extension of our personalities.  He is more pragmatic, more detail oriented.  I am more abstract, I let the details fall where they may.  I am the wings; he is the anchor, which probably explains why the marriage has lasted.

I am a “shopper”.  If we can’t find what we want here in town (and I haven’t a clue what that might be) let’s go to the outlet malls, or spend the weekend in Cincinnati, or a day in Cleveland!

He is a “buyer”.  Let’s decide we want a blue sweatshirt, come up with two places that carry blue sweat shirts, go there and buy a blue sweat shirt…..period.

Quite often over the years he’s chosen to settle the problem with the phrase he uses to escape from what he considers to be a shopping nightmare…..”Call Jone”.     Often my partner in shopping crime, Jone and I can spend the day looking for nothing and come home with something….a match made in girlfriend heaven.

And so it is that we enter this painful time of year...the shopping season.  Just as surely as day follows night this season is accompanied by a full day “wrap-o-rama” where we pull out all the holiday bags, wrappings, ribbon and bows that this “shopper” found after the holidays last year.  I wrap, he supplies an index finger for bow making and paper holding….and we get the job done.

All kidding aside I’m really looking forward to the holidays this year…shopping and all…and for us they begin this weekend and roll right on through New Year’s Day.  I will celebrate Thanks Giving with an especially grateful heart this year.  Christmas gives me the privilege of having my house full of family, grandchildren and friends; the New Year holds the promise of doing it all over again. 

In looking back over the year I’ve not lost every material thing to a hurricane, or said goodbye to a family member or a close friend.  My own health issues have turned out better than expected and I am lucky to be watching Heart of Ohio Magazine grow and develop.  When you have all these important things to celebrate, what’s a little shopping between friends?

We’re all facing the “my heart is full even if my check book is empty” time of year.  Let’s make the best of it and start enjoying some Christmas cheer right out of the chute.  I’m going to get ready for the shopping festivities by calling Jone……

                                                                Life is Good

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment