Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Quietly thankful





There is something about the night before a big holiday like Thanksgiving that is timeless. I've experienced this "time bubble" many years now. Like so many holiday eves before, this evening the oyster dressing is all done, ready to pop into the oven. The turkey is washed and seasoned and ready for the roaster oven at five am tomorrow. The house is in pretty good order. I've put all the leaves in the dining room table, giving it the appearance of an oak airport runway; it waits surrounded by every chair in the house. Other things that could be done ahead are waiting to be thawed or heated or both....and now I enjoy a glass of wine, some music and the quiet that will be gone tomorrow for just a little while.

Over the years our family has evolved and changed the way most families do. Marriages, divorces, deaths and births change the cast of characters from time to time. I know tomorrow, as I look around me, I will wish I could freeze time and keep everything the way it is....but I also know that isn't possible. 


I have so very much to be thankful for. I thank God for hearing prayers....answered and unanswed. I realize in quiet moments like these how little control I have had over my life.  As difficult as it is at times I still choose to believe that someone with more wisdom than I calls the shots.   I will enjoy this quiet time, poised on the edge of yet another holiday season.

                                                                     
                                                                   Life is Good

No comments:

Post a Comment