Saturday, December 8, 2018

The Eyes Have It



Looking at a magazine this evening I came across an article about fashion glasses.  Still expensive as all get out, they have plain glass lenses because they're just for looks.  Really??  That's a thing?

I wear glasses, not as a fashion accessory or to look more intelligent or to add character to my face.  I wear them because I can't see a danged thing without them.  My glasses are the last thing I put down at night and the first thing I pick up in the morning.  It's a love hate thing; I hate the glasses but I love to be able to see.

Even wearing my glasses I sometimes have problems.  Last evening I took a look at the small clock on the shelf in our family room and saw it was 9:30 p.m.   I was sleepy and suggested we make it an early night.   Larry agreed, so we got busy getting the dog settled, the house secured and our nightly argument about where to set the thermostat out of the way....our normal evening routine.

Satisfied everything was done I climbed into bed and noticed my bedside clock said 7:40.  I made a mental note to toss that thing in the trash come morning.   Any time there's a power fluctuation it requires resetting, an arduous process that requires more patience than I am willing to invest.  It was on it's way out.....

Snuggling into my half dozen pillows, I  picked up my iPad because the pleasant drowsiness I'd felt earlier seemed to have passed.  Now I noticed the time in the upper corner (7:45)  and realized I had looked at the family room clock wrong; we really had shuffled off to bed about 7:30.  My husband snored softly beside me; I didn't want to wake him because I knew we'd both be up at 2:00 a.m.  I'd explain it to him then.  Note to self: buy a bigger clock for the family room.

Showering presents a different problem.  Without my glasses I can not tell which is shampoo and which is conditioner.  I thought I'd solved that problem when I found products by Loreal that are uniquely packaged.  The shampoo opening is on the top, the conditioner opens from the bottom of the bottle. Problem solved, right?

This morning I was feeling pretty smug as the steam rose in the shower.  Blind as a bat, I reached for a bottle and realized I couldn't remember which opened from the top.  Yes, the openings are conveniently different... but my memory is still inconveniently not what it used to be.   I ended up climbing out of the shower, putting my glasses on and reading the bottles.  To help me remember I've come up with a  "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey" type thing.  What do you do in the shower? You get in and soap up....soap up/shampoo up and conditioner down.   Life shouldn't be this complicated, should it?

Knowing how my luck runs I know as soon as I get used to this shampoo and conditioner  they'll stop making them, a retail fact of life I've come to accept.  Not easily discouraged and being the pro-active type of gal I am I've located a pair of glasses that have windshield wipers.  I plan to ask Santa for a pair to wear in the shower, and if I can just explain to my optometrist why I need a prescription lens for these suckers I'll be all set...…

                                                                Life is Good








 




No comments:

Post a Comment