Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Surviving the rain

                                  "Into each life a little rain must fall"

                               I think I may have just survived the monsoon.

If you've been following along you know my hip replacement that took place July 27th was going along quite nicely till, five weeks to the day from the surgery, my new hip joint tried to get away.  At least that's how it felt when it came out of the socket.   After a day at the hospital having it put back into place my surgeon he told me I would have to wear a brace for six weeks.

Taking my prescription to the prosthetics office  I soon learned the "brace" was a plastic and aluminum contraption that I had to wear 24/7.  It wrapped clear around my midriff, clasped in the front, bars and plastic and foam rubber went down my right side to hold me into a position that (theoretically) would keep the hip in place till some healing could take place.  Velcro straps held the plastic plates in place around my right thigh, strapped in place like some high tech gunslinger.

A wide, hard piece of plastic that nestled into the small of my back was curved, arching my back as I lay in bed.  Struggling to find a semi comfortable position in which to sleep I realized I must resemble a large obstacle on a miniature golf course. (Putt through the tunnel and get a free Pepsi!)  Outside of bed I was locked in an 80% slant that wouldn't allow me to sit straight up,  the metal parts sticking out on each side stubbornly stuck under restaurant tables and trapped me in chairs with arms.  The right side is so big that I've come to think of it as an arm rest, and I can hang my small purse on a rather large hook that comes out under my ribcage.  I would love to get a peek at the design for this thing.  I'm sure it was created at the Marquis de Sade school of brace design, the most uncomfortable pile of parts in all of brace-dom.

This morning I prepared to return to see the surgeon; I dressed and strapped on the brace for what I hoped would be the last time.  My six weeks were up, and hoping for good news we headed out to see the doctor.

As the surgeon peered at my new xrays I held my breath.  After we had established that I've been a good girl, and everything looked good he said the magic words, "I think we can come out of the brace".   Yes!!  Six weeks of wearing  the lobster suit and walking like a penguin had paid off!!!   Woo hoo!!

I think my joint replacement odessy is nearly at an end; I couldn't be happier.  If I take it slow for the next couple of months, that includes not bending at more than a 90% angle, not twisting or reaching down and to the side, the odds that this won't happen again get better.   I will do everything I can to keep from ending up in that brace or an operating room again.

My experience has taught me that this can best be handled like any other challenge in life.  If you have a good support group, a positive attitude and a sense of humor you can get through most things.  Oh…and a little wine doesn't hurt either.

                                                          Life is Good



        

No comments:

Post a Comment