Friday, December 19, 2014

Looking for the Past





Today I had a morning “reality check” that started with the search for a wine glass.... 

Last evening we had our annual “Golden Girls” Christmas dinner here at my house.  The (now) three of us had a glass of wine before dinner.   As a surprise, after dinner I had planned a special recognition of this first Christmas get-together without our good friend, Chris Butler. 

As we talked over dinner we remembered last year’s get together where the four of us ate and laughed and had a great time together.  Chris seemed to be emerging from a long spell of illness.  She had put on some weight, looked better than she had in ages, and we all seemed to be in a good place.  We had no idea that she would be gone in just four short months.

Last evenings dinner had a quiet to it that covered a deeper sadness.  After we finished, I announced that we were heading out into the cold to send off a sky lantern to wish Chris a Merry Christmas.  We all bundled up and, after carefully reading the directions, headed for the driveway.  As is usually the case I assumed I had this thing all figured out, and it caused not a little laughter as I tried to light the lantern in the wind without igniting the whole thing.  Finally the fuel pad grabbed the flame and the lantern filled with hot air.  After a few seconds it gracefully lifted up into the black velvet night sky.

It really was a beautiful sight, a heart lifting moment as we sent our Christmas wish skyward.   I was more than a little relieved when the lantern cleared the roof of the house as the wind took the fiery lantern in a north easterly direction.   (Note: check wind direction or don’t try this at home.)
The glowing white orb rose soundlessly as we watched.  Then, quite suddenly, it seemed to stand still in the cold night air.  I was mentally going through reasons this might happen, like some cold air/hot air ratio, when Becky announced, “Uh-oh!  It’s stuck in a tree”.
 
All sentimental thoughts ceased as we watched, horrified and hoping the thing would quickly run out of fuel. (Note:  the fuel lasts a loooong time)  The skeletal fingers of that huge old tree clutched that lantern like a catcher’s mitt at home plate.  I held my breath and squinted in the darkness, hoping not to see any signs of fire on the tree limb; after what seemed like forever it went out.  Demonstrating that it was well worth the price, the thing is still up there this morning to greet me as I took the dog out.

You might think this ruined the moment; in truth it couldn’t have been more perfect.  The three of us went from solemn, to shocked, to laughter in the space of a minute.  It took much longer for me to get the sound of Chris’s laughter out of my head after we went back into the house.  I ended the evening with the feeling that the four of us had once again shared a good laugh…and if it’s possible for Chris to have orchestrated it, she did.


That takes me back to this morning.  After the gals went home last night I got lazy and left the dishes; ‘tomorrow is another day’ type thinking.  This morning I multi-tasked as I sipped a cup of coffee, loaded the dishwasher and filled the sink with things that needed to be done by hand.  I started to wash the wine glasses, and that’s when I noticed one was missing.  Automatically on the hunt, I trailed my way through a couple of rooms before I remembered there wouldn’t be a fourth wine glass to find this morning.
 
The Golden Girls now number three, but there will always be four of us in our hearts.



                                                          Life is Good


No comments:

Post a Comment