Tuesday, December 24, 2013

It's Time to say Merry Christmas!!!!





I have discovered the only way I can manage to have any Christmas spirit to enjoy is to be very protective of it.  This year I did something different; I officially started looking, listening and watching Christmas things on December 13th.  It’s taken some effort, but I think I’ve pulled it off quite nicely, thank you very much!

Since October I have been avoiding displays of Christmas decorations.  This certainly hasn’t been achieved without some real effort…I’ve done it by putting on my shopping blinders and not looking too far to my right or left.  I have dodged displays of the M & M’s characters wearing Christmas hats…Budweiser Clydesdales dancing to Christmas music…and the Grinch leering at me from cardboard cut outs stationed with various and sundry products. 


Recording anything you care to watch and fast forwarding through the commercials is a great way to avoid early Christmas burn out as well.  I don’t know when anything is on…and I can never catch part two of anything…but I have missed all the expensive cars with bows around them…the “as seen on TV” ads for stretchy bras and two hundred foot long garden hoses that you can carry in a match box.  I have also tuned out of the home shopping networks and the Christmas shows that started on November first.  The first Christmas thing I watched was the Celtic Women show on PBS last week.  I was humming Christmas music for a couple of days after that.

I hate to break this news to all the big broadcast companies but…the surprise is over.  Knowing what is coming I’ve turned off my radio.  The war to see who can get 24 hour Christmas music started first has probably been fought in every market…and I don’t care.  When I worked in radio and was forced to listen to Christmas music for eight solid weeks I was ready to bludgeon anyone who wished me “Merry Christmas” by the time it actually rolled around.  Too much of a good thing is….well, too much.

We still get the Sunday paper at our house, so for two months the first thing I’ve done is pull all the “Christmas Giving” sale papers out and toss them in the trash.  Two weeks before Christmas is time enough to look at that stuff, too.

In my sincere efforts to not become a “Christmas Curmudgeon” I have likely missed some good sales…probably missed some Christmas programs that were not too bad…and definitely missed the “After Christmas Sales” that started in mid-December.  But you know what?  I have a healthy Christmas spirit because I haven’t used it all up trying to fend off advertising and premature celebration of an event that should be cherished.  I’ve said “Merry Christmas” and meant it…and I am going to be this protective of my Christmas spirit every year from here on out because it works for me.

Now that I’ve confessed to having become a bit reclusive about my holidays I do have to admit I may have overlooked something.  On the way into work this morning I heard Silent Night done to a calypso beat.  When did that happen?

                                     Merry Christmas to all…and to all a good night.

                                                             Life is Good

 

No comments:

Post a Comment