Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Lighting the Way


It seems to me that no matter what the” powers that be” are trying to achieve they always create more problems by making new rules.  The latest addition to the traffic laws that I’m aware of is the “if your wipers are on your lights are on” rule.  That’s supposed to magically keep us safe at some level I don’t understand.   In truth is it has just magnified a problem that’s been bugging me for a long, long while.

 I think the majority of new cars have lights that come on automatically when you turn the key.  The lights are purple and piercing like laser beams, and what no one considers is they may have turned the car/truck off with the lights on high beams.   Once again this morning I had a big, manly truck right on my bumper with his bright lights gouging my eyes out of their sockets through my rearview mirrors.   I adjusted both side mirrors away from my line of sight….he obviously didn’t notice.      I turned my rearview mirror down….not something he paid any attention to.   Since he was six inches from my rear bumper you would think he might have seen me adjusting anything shiny to keep his death rays from cooking my retinas…..but no.    This, of course, is at eight o’clock in the morning.   Someone, somewhere did the math and decided that cars/trucks (the Pok-er) with their lights on at eight in the a.m. are less likely to crash than those who (the Pok-ee) are plodding along without lights.   Since I am the “pok-ee” I do not agree.   To make matters worse the authorities created the law that requires everyone to have lights on when it rains, immediately even the OLD cars are wandering around with their bright lights on in broad daylight.   I am all for safety on the roads, but given the fact that many of today’s cars are equipped with headlights that can be monitored from a satellite you can see what a problem it can become if you end up with a truly dedicated tailgater on your bumper.  Rain or shine it can be very uncomfortable. 

Another driving hazard we’ve created is the “two lanes turning” traffic pattern.   If you read signs, if you pay attention, if you have half a brain there is no problem.  Obviously the ones who can meet those standards  are not the people I am meeting at “First Street turning onto Diamond Street as two lanes turn left” in Mansfield each morning.   Two days last week two different drivers almost side swiped me as we had a four wheeled disagreement over which lane I was allowed to occupy.  Here’s the basic rule if you happen to be one of the people I am trying to avoid …..Pick a lane AND STAY THE HECK IN IT.  Two lanes turning are not meant to converge; you should never change lanes during a turn, and you are not welcome in my lane at any time!   One woman at least had the decency to waggle her fingers at me in a concillatory  gesture as she barely missed shearing my driver’s side door off.  I’m assuming it was concillatory ; she was, after all, using all her fingers. 

I confess to being an impatient driver.  The more I’m running late the greater the chances are that I’m going to end up behind some law and order freak doing the speed limit.  However, as I work on my unbelievably long list of things I need to improve upon I wish the “light brighters” and the “tail gaters” would work on their own lists before one of them blinds or runs over me. 

                          Please….dim your lights and watch where you’re going!!!!!! 

This has been a public service “suggestion” from the curmudgeon in the convertible that you nearly
took off the road last week.  In an effort to feel safe on the roadway again I have decided to trade my car in on an urban assault vehicle.  Green is my favorite color, after all, and the trade in value on these things is pretty good.  Oh, and just for the record... I will be using the right lane as we turn left. I suggest you remember that.









                                                
                                                    In spite of my traffic rant, LIFE IS GOOD. 

No comments:

Post a Comment